Issues Management Group, one of Boston’s top strategic communication, public affairs, and digital firms, is looking to hire an Accounting Manager.
As the Accounting Manager, you will report to the Chief Financial Officer and be involved with all aspects of accounting and finance, including maintaining the general ledger, financial analysis, and reporting.
IMG has a hybrid work model. The Accounting Manager will be based in our downtown Boston office and be eligible to work remotely two days each week.
- Manage day-to-day accounting operations. Prepare journal entries, worksheets, reconciliations, and other documentation to ensure that transactions are recorded in accordance with GAAP.
- Perform month-end closing procedures ensuring timely and accurate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting.
- Participate in the annual budget process and monitor those budgets throughout the fiscal year. Work with the CFO to analyze variances from budget and develop plan for corrective action, if necessary. Reforecast revenue and expense throughout the year.
- Monitor credit card balances and expenditures for employer-issued credit cards.
- Review coding of accounts payable invoices to ensure alignment with the budget.
- Lead annual financial review with external auditors, including providing documentation, preparing schedules, and responding to inquiries.
- Generate and send client invoices on a monthly basis and follow up on past due AR balances.
- Process bi-weekly payroll in ADP for exempt and non-exempt employees across multiple states. Manage timely and accurate commission payouts and 401k and safe harbor contributions.
- Manage staff responsible for Human Resources and Operations.
- Work with Human Resources and the CFO to ensure the benefit and retirement plans are operating correctly, as well as participating in the annual audit and required filings.
- Complete annual year end filings such as 1099 reporting.
- Daily management of company operations, including equipment (computers, cell phones) and office supplies.
- Manage Microsoft licenses, email accounts, and employee equipment. Assist employees with new account creation and act as a liaison between IT consulting company and employees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with five (5) to eight (8) years’ of related experience.
- Highly proficient in the use of MS Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook) and the use of QuickBooks.
- In-depth knowledge of accounting principles and applicable accounting standards.
- Ability to evaluate department and organization financial status, develop budgets, and report results.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work as a member of a strong team.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to plan, organize, and to set priorities to meet deadlines.
- Ability to execute multiple tasks with minimal supervision while maintaining confidentiality.
- Prior experience managing a team strongly preferred.
- CPA a plus.
We hire candidates who are smart, determined, and bring something new to the table. If you excel at what you do, we want to talk with you. As an equal opportunity employer, Issues Management Group will not discriminate on a basis of race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other facet of your identity.
ABOUT ISSUES MANAGEMENT GROUP
Issues Management Group is an integrated strategic communication, public affairs, and digital firm guiding clients through complex, highly leveraged situations. Headquartered in Boston with a team in New York City, our group of more than 50 professionals is built to fit the increasing complexity of today’s communications, government, business, and digital landscapes, and help shape what’s to come.
We provide senior-level counsel, creative solutions, and compelling content in the rapidly changing sectors of healthcare, real estate, corporate and professional services, education, mission-focused, public service, energy, and cannabis. At Issues Management Group, we take on the most difficult challenges and lead our clients to the best possible outcomes.
If you are looking for a company with an intellectually stimulating, collaborative, and respectful culture, new challenges and growth opportunities, and a range of industries to dive into, Issues Management Group may be the place for you. Our generous compensation and benefits program includes great health and dental plans, a 401 (k) plan, profit sharing, a new business success program, a flexible work from home policy, summer Fridays, and your birthday off. We have a terrific professional development program as well. To learn more visit issuesgroup.com.
Apply in confidence via e-mail with a cover letter and resume attached to email@example.com.
Our company has a strong and vibrant history going back to our roots in Boston as Solomon McCown & Company, founded in 2003. The firm became Solomon McCown & Cence (SM&C) in 2020, when Dan Cence was named CEO, Owner, and Managing Partner. Under Dan’s leadership, SM&C merged with Murphy Donoghue Partners in 2022, one of Boston’s most successful government relations firms, to operate as one under the Issues Management Group Brand.
Issues Management Group has earned its place among the top Boston-based public relations firms with award-winning work on behalf of some of the most renowned and forward-thinking enterprises in the region and nation. In the past 19 years, the firm has received 134 awards for client work in various industry sectors ranging from corporate to non-profit and has been listed among Boston’s top 25 public relations firms by the Boston Business Journal. The firm has also been ranked in PRWeek’s Top 100 nationally and was a finalist for both PR News and PRWeek’s Small Firm of the Year.